Monday, March 8, 2010

S-Works testing

Greetings jerks! As mentioned in my previous post, I recently travelled to CA to visit Specialized HQ. They have an amazing facility with huge locker rooms, individual soap dispensing showers, and a huge cage full of 2010 Sworks bikes for the classes to demo. I rode an S works roubaix with DA tubless wheels (fucking sweeeeet) a Tarmac sl3 with electronic DA (awesome bike, liked it a lot better than the roubaix) and on the last day, the ride I had been waiting for all week, 2010 Sworks epic with xx brakes and crank, xo 9spd rear. This is their world cup level race bike, the same steed upon which Breslin will be going really fast this season. In spite of the tiny wheels, this bike felt like it fit me, something other high end 26 inch rides like the trek fuel ex have failed to do. The 2x9 drive train makes a lot of sense if you don't want to drop the massive coin for the xx cassette. Really a sweet riding bike. We were on a section of the Sea Otter trail right by the Laguna Seca raceway. I was in the lead group after the first major climb and we were just getting into the descent when things got hairy. The trail had a very sandy consistency to it, and they had had a lot of rain in the previous days. This led to the formation of a very large sinkhole that was not visible untill you were in it basically. Two of the specialized guys almost went down, which I did not see or I may have come out better. I came over a little riser and into the hole. It swallowed the front end of the bike and sent me flying. My roomate for the class was behind me and saw the whole thing. According to him I did two full front flips before landing on my shoulder and head. The sworks helmet I was demoing took the impact and then shot up into the air.

In true Team Seagal fashion, I stood up and dusted myself off saying " I don't have a concussion it's ok, let's keep going" I then bent to pick up my sun glasses and couldn't reach my arm to the ground. One of the other students used to be an LPN and realized immediately what I had done. He took a look inside my jersey, saw the break and sat me down and made a sling for me. I only know these things from my classmates telling me that night after I got back from the ER. I had no recollection of talking to anyone or trying to keep going or anything. The ER doctor asked if I had hit my head to which I relied "No" The specialized guy who was with me immediately chimed in " yeah you did bro" The medic at Laguna Seca had asked me what month it was and I really couldn't tell her. weird feeling.

So basically I broke my left clavicle completely, and the muscles titghtening around the shoulder displaced it fair ammount, meaning that it will likely have to be pinned back together. The good news is that Worker's comp is going to cover it all, and my boss is being pretty cool about it. This of course puts a significant damper on my upcoming race season since I will be off the bike for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Toscani is still going to do the Sedona race, which means  he will be in town tommorrow. While my injury changes things, he is still a tremendous jerk and I am sure we will still find plenty of ways to entertain ourselves. This will also render me unable to ride with C-dubbs the weekend following the Sedona race, but I am certain we will get together with our mutual chinese friend for a drink or two.

I will post pics of my xrays as soon as I can get them onto the computer, until then, stay hard!

PS. The bike was ok other than a broken xx brake and a cracked handlebar.

7 comments:

  1. FucksSake Doctor! You know those little wHeels and gears are for kids. You have now met with the KONA KHARMA, Never again ride a tiny wHeeled bike. Drink up some PBR until I can get some more top secret exlixer sent your way to aide in healing.
    If it's any consolation...I will have a weaker season than Punchor, because I to am fucking slow.
    Lawman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idon't know what I was thinking, tiny wheels, gears, full suspension. All that carbon clouded my vision. I will not let the bling cloud my judgement in the future.

    PS. It is hard to type with one hand, especially since it is my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctore, please get well soon, lest you forget that you are also a tremendous jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Jerks Batman! While you might not have been able to tell the ER staff what month it was (not that it really matters) I am sure if they had asked you to quote you favorite line from Above The Law you would have given them the entire script word for word and then snapped a couple of wrists on the spot - simplty because this is what Steven would have done. Looking forward to seeing you in Sedona, we are staying at the Red Agave right behind Bike N Bean, sucking down the beers and conversing with our Chinese friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about a small earthquake in the region of the Sea Otter on the same day, rumor has it the timing was close to impact time no the trail. Did the ensuing impact create another sinkhole or shatter any rocks and since it is the right collarbone how hard is it to get a good wipe in as a lefty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it was a 7.2 on the richter scale. It is actually a left collar bone, I am normally left handed. eating and brushing the teeth are hard to do right handed. C-Dubbs, I will definitely make an appearance in Sedona although, sadly, I will not be able to ride. Me and my chinese friend can do right handed 12oz curls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch, I guess the only aftershocks will be on top of the bowl. Glad to hear you will still be making a foray to Sedona, perhaps our good friend Nico is still out there rounding up illegals now that he has been deputized by The Lawman

    ReplyDelete